Saturday, February 22, 2014

Why We Do What We Love

I know sometimes that our friends and family think we must be crazy, after all Rick and I are not "chicken springs" (spring chickens) we have a comfy cozy home......why do we load Ingrid with so much sound equipment and instruments that there is barely room for us and our clothes.....drive for hours, unload, set equipment up, play our music for two hours, tear it all down, reload Ingrid and go home.

It ain't about the money........ask any singer songwriter and they will tell you,  ( if the fire burns in their belly) that it has nothing to do with the money.  (though we do love those ASCAP deposits).  We do it, because we have to, it is a part of our DNA, of who we are as humans.......we do it whether anyone listens, we do it because if the songs aren't played and sung, then something dies within us.

I endure monthly treatments, days of side effects from them, just so my lungs will function and I can sing, play and teach.......just so I can live, not just breathe.

We have friends who do a couple of songs now and then, maybe share a stage with someone, but until you have experienced the bone tired fatigue of lifting speakers, and loading equipment, ( in four inch heels, with make-up) and then singing your heart out for and hour or two......you just won't get it. It is some ancient primal call within us.......this need to share our songs and tell our stories.

We played to a full house last night of strangers, it's easy to play to your friends they love you no matter what.  Strangers may not even be kind.......but they were to us last night, they loved our music, our songs.  Their love and kindness fed the beast within us, filled our needs and gave us one more reason why we do what we love.

5 comments:

  1. That is the best kind of tired, isn't it? xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe in doing what you love... it's why I write.. I have always wanted to and now it is is like breathing :)

    I am glad you have something you are so passionate about :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know 'til the other day when I first read your blog that you had to take treatments regularly. I was shocked because I, like many, have been watching you and Rick on FB, in the news, and at gatherings, and I see you have let nothing stop you. You are enduring treatments, so you can "live, not just breathe." I am in awe because I didn't know, and how could I by just observations from a distance? You definitely know how to live, and you are a wonderful and encouraging example to others, including me. Thanks a bunch for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great life so glad you are happy hugs from downunder

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're not strangers, just friends you haven't met yet! I'm betting you and Rick have a lot of them! Having a talent and sharing it with others that brings joy to their lives has to be a wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete