Monday, May 27, 2019

A Break

 I had gotten dressed and ready for work today, the phone rang about five minutes before time to go.
It was my boss telling me not to come.  He had given the patients a holiday free time on campus.
They were grilling, playing soft ball and basket ball, enjoying the day.  I was glad.  Often all the days run together and no one even knows what day it is.  Time moves fast and then it drags.  A break from the very structured routine helps morale.

Rick and I just hung out.  It has been a day of rest.  For the past few weeks we have both gone non-stop, a lazy day was perfect.

Today is Memorial Day.  If you have a friend or family member who made the supreme sacrifice, bless you.  For all of those who have died while serving in the military for this country, their families live with that sacrifice every day.  That life will never be replaced and the people who loved them are changed forever.   War has never made sense to me, and the older I get, it makes even less sense.
If you celebrated today, I hope you remember why this day is a holiday.

 This remembrance has been going on since the Civil War.  I read a little blurb about the history of it today.  In the south that remembrance continues, now known as Decoration Day where flowers are placed on graves.  It's a dying tradition, but our families still honor it.  Almost every Sunday in May and June, you will see people placing flowers on graves.  I decorated my family's graves on Mother's Day, next weekend I place flowers on my father's family graves and the second Sunday in June Rick's family will celebrate their Decoration Day.  My mom always said "it was the last thing you could do to honor the dead, just place some flowers on their grave."  My photo doesn't have anything to do with any of this, but the bush with the pink and yellow flowers belonged to my grandmother, Mamie.
I love that her flowers and my mom's still grow in my yard.

1 comment:

  1. It's always nice having an extra day to rest. I've been exhausted and have had extra long days these last few days.
    I'm feeling like I could use a rainy day to rest tomorrow but it's only 40% chance of showers.

    Remembering the brave military men who fought for freedom and those who still serve is the right thing to do.

    I hope you rested today.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete