Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Harvest Time

Today, we harvested tomatoes, squash, okra, peas, beans, corn and then just as my mom taught me many years ago, I did a soup "mix" for the freezer. This winter, when the wind blows out of the north, I will take a container out of the freezer, mix it with what ever vegetables are on hand and maybe a little meat......and we will have a feast of vegetable soup and a hot skillet of corn bread. The best meal possible on a cold wintry night! We have also harvested blackberries, peas, corn and prepared those for the freezer. Lots of work, but so worth it!!!! As the crops continue to be ready, we will harvest and store for the cold months. The apples and pears will be dried, some will be made into jelly or preserves. It is a good feeling, this storing of food for the dark months. I suppose it is that connection to our ancestors , mine must have been those who gathered. Lord knows, I have never wanted to hunt and kill. A nice hot bath is calling out to me, and then an hour or so of guitar practice. A long hard day, but a good one, it is harvest time.

No comments:

Post a Comment