Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I Don't Want to Flicker

"You want to live your life like an incandescent light bulb-not a fluorescent bulb that flickers at the end, but one that burns brightly and suddenly goes out." - Sanjay Gupta

There is an article in this month's Prevention magazine by Dr. Gupta, I think he says some pretty profound things.  He talks about as a med student  he never received any nutritional training, what he has learned, has been on his own.  He talks about the importance of exercise, that movement is vital to health.
And my favorite, he stresses stop medicating, start meditating.

His quote about going  like a light bulb truly hit home to me.  My father died like an incandescent bulb, but my mom.......flickered away slowly for almost two years.  Me, I pray that my light burns blindingly bright, and then goes out in the blink of an eye.

I think our health is something that we really have to work at, we have to participate in our personal health care, and we can never take it for granted.....we have to be informed, and willing to do our share to stay healthy.  I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, my lifestyle has kept my health out of a downward spiral.
I believe we are what we eat, what we think, and how we move, and that stillness (meditation) and breath work both play a great part in our good health. We have to learn to practice preventative medicine and realize that so many of our health woes stem from bad habits, bad nutrition, and  non-movement. And even when the cards are stacked against us, there are still things that we can do.


I have written this many times,  fresh fruits, vegetables, fresh air and sunshine, clean water and movement, 
a few minutes of daily meditation.........will change your life. 



1 comment:

  1. Great post! I really like the simple way you sum up a healthy lifestyle:
    "fresh fruits, vegetables, fresh air and sunshine, clean water and movement, a few minutes of daily meditation."

    ReplyDelete