Sunday, June 13, 2010

Chicken Trauma/Blue Berry Rewards

My great nephew, Jordan and his mom Samantha came over this evening just in time to help me feed and water the chickens. We have 11 new chicks, not babies, but around 3 or 4 weeks old.
Jordan loves to go to the chicken pen and help, his mom does not get a warm fuzzy feeling hanging out with the chickens but she is a good sport. Today as we were putting food out, Samantha yelled that one of the chicks was outside the pen, actually between the pen and the chain link fence.
So, I go outside, and Jordan and Sam are inside trying to keep the others at bay while I rescue the one who has escaped. This chicken did not want to be rescued, but finally after the three of us
running ourselves silly, the chicken made its way back inside the pen. Then Jordan wanted to let all the chickens out, so we could round them up! I convinced him it would be more fun to pick those juicy ripe blueberries and eat them instead of chasing the chicks! Thank goodness he loves blueberries as much as I do and was more than happy to pick the berries. Not sure I could have held up to chasing more chickens in the 100 degree heat we had today. Tomorrow, Rick will be working on containment issues with the chicks!

No comments:

Post a Comment