Tuesday, January 28, 2020

A First

A first for me today.  I have painted and drawn all of my life.  I have painted on furniture, canvas, floor cloths, walls and painted hundreds of  cards, even painted on ceiling tiles and discarded pieces of wood, fabric, etc.  My prize drawing is a portrait of Samantha when she was around 3 years old.
My first...I actually had art displayed in an art exhibit today. 

It's been surreal actually.  I told the woman when she called a few weeks ago asking me to submit some of my work that I wasn't really a "fine artist".  She told me that the uniqueness of what I did was the reason they wanted to show some of my work.  I am humbled and honored.

The exhibit featured the works of 54 artists from the county where we live.  Amazing pieces of sculpture, photos ( three of Rick's) paintings, textiles, pottery, jewelry, just exquisite works of creative talent were displayed today.  There was a compilation of my Christmas cards that one of our dear friends had framed so she allowed me to show that as well as a cow hide that I had painted for her husband in 1986.  The hide was a gift from another friend and when he passed her husband asked if I would paint something for him on a piece of the hide as a remembrance of our friend.  Another friend made a similar request, so I cut the hide into pieces and painted one for each friend.

There has always been a running joke in my family,  I was the different one, the one that must have been swapped at the hospital and someone else got the child who belonged to my family.
Today it was nice to be considered different and unique. 

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first art exhibit. That is quite an honor. I've never done one, but have been painting for years too. Like you I've painted on a lot of different surface but I have never tried a portrait of anyone. I hope it brings new business for you/ Could be your semi retirement days will be the beginning of a new career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! You are so talented and I'm glad it can be celebrated with an art exhibit. I'm glad Rick had some photos in too. I always tell him his photos would win at our county fair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete