Sunday, November 7, 2010

Indoor Trees

Friday night, we moved from Indian Summer to winter......it's Alabama and often we miss fall and spring. Friday night the temperature dropped down into the twenties, so that meant ALL the plants had to be moved into the house. A mango tree, two avocado trees, a lemon tree, a grapefruit tree, and a ficus, ranging in height from six feet to about fifteen feet tall are back in the great room.
At first, I felt rather claustrophobic, we live in a cottage and no matter how much I prune these trees in the spring, they grow during the summer. Now we live in a cottage/forest. The trees form a canopy over the sofas, and it is actually quite cozy to sit in front of the fireplace, under a tree.

Of course, there are other plants that were moved inside. So, we have different levels of green forming paths throughout the living area. I now have several bruises because I have not
learned the new paths and I keep walking into furniture that is just not as visible as it was a few days ago.

One good thing about all the plants, we never have to worry about indoor pollution. If we turn the ceiling fan on, the leaves begin to sway in the breeze, it becomes a unique experience! I think I may wrap them with those little white twinkle lights, almost as good as being under the stars all the time.

I love my plants, and I gripe about all the work of caring for them, moving them in and out of doors, but I have to admit when it is freezing outside, sitting under a tree in front of a roaring fire, drinking hot chocolate is wonderful. I think the dogs love the trees too, they have all figured out new napping stations and no, not once have they ever hiked a leg!!!!


1 comment:

  1. White twinkle lights sound wonderful. Especially if you have a tall one in the bedroom or near the couch where you might pretend you're on the grass in the yard at night.

    ReplyDelete