Saturday, July 29, 2017

Last One Standing

We opened a bottle of champagne tonight and toasted the memory of our friend Louis.  We both expressed our gratitude that the universe brought him into our lives.  We toasted his friendship and our love for him.  We are so lucky to have had him in our lives, even for a a few short years.

Life gives us gifts.  Sometimes we accept them, other times we don't.  Sitting in those big green chairs while the chemicals ran through our bodies, it would have been easy to have ignored all of those around us.  I could have withdrawn, thought about my troubles, become obsessed with my illness.
I am so thankful that our little group chose to reach out to each other.  We chose to face what was going on in our lives and acknowledge those around us.  We made friendships, knowing that they would not be long ones.

Louis and his smile, his faith and love for his fellow man brought us together.  Our bond was a gift.
Tonight, I am the last one standing.  I won't let my friends down.

2 comments:

  1. A lovely tribute to your friend Louis. He was certainly a gift to you and many others.
    Cheers to Louis up there.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful way to remember your friend.

    ReplyDelete