Thursday, January 16, 2014

Patience

"It is very strange that the years teach us patience- that the shorter our time, the greater our capacity for waiting.  - Elizabeth Taylor

I read this quote today and it struck a chord......I use to be the most impatient person in the world......waiting drove me crazy.
I'm not sure when the change took place......I think it started when I became a care giver for my mom.....and then, after treatments started I realized that waiting no longer bothered me.

The passing of years, a few birthdays under my belt, the loss of those I love, and illness........and one of the most valuable lessons so far......patience.  It's like the old saying, "be careful what you pray for,you might just get it."  If I had known all those times I wished for patience, what it would take to get it.......I might have wished for something else.

I'm not so sure it's the shortness of time that teaches us patience or maybe it's just that as we age, we learn  more about what is important and what is not........ we learn not to sweat the small stuff, to go with the flow, to chill......why did it take so long?  

Yoga has taught me a great deal about patience, to gently work myself into a pose, not to force or push, to honor my body, and to understand how those five minutes of stillness can change my life daily.....to appreciate my energy, and on those days when the fatigue hits.....to be patient with myself.

Something else the years have taught, try to avoid situations and people that vex my spirit.....don't go to Walmart when I am rushed for time, 
listen to great music when I am stuck in traffic, good food takes time,
being good on guitar or vocals or writing takes time.......cherish the moments, they don't last.  My mom and dad were right......I learned patience.

2 comments:

  1. Patience is definitely not something that the younger me had. I think that we really do get wiser as we age. We learn to see what is important as well as learning our own limits. Only the experiences, both good and bad, as we go through life can teach us that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wiser and Older oh yes most of the time. Agree with Kat,
    I love the song
    I know what it is to be young but You don't know what it is to be old.
    hugs from downunder

    ReplyDelete