Wednesday, September 16, 2015

The Big Chill

Tonight we watched a movie we had not seen in years, but it is one of my favorite movies...The Big Chill.  I love the sound track, the script and the actors.  I think it captures we baby boomers as well as anything ever has.

Through the years, as we have gotten together with our friends, the scene in the kitchen after dinner with everyone dancing while they clear the dirty dishes comes to my mind often.  Our kitchen, as small and tiny as it is has seen a great deal of dancing, laughter and camaraderie and always music.

It never crosses my mind that I am a baby boomer until I see The Big Chill, and then it hits me.
We are the generation that lived through the 50's, the 60's the 70's and beyond. We came through the Viet Nam war, Civil Rights Movement, the Kennedy assassinations, the summer of love, Woodstock,
the British Invasion, mini skirts and that is just the tip of the iceberg.  I often say I am a lucky woman, but I believe to have been a part of this generation has been incredible, I am lucky.

As we watched the movie tonight, I though of so many friends that we haven't seen in years, of so many who have died and the many we still see as often as we can. Growing up when we did wove a connecting thread that will always keep us linked.  Our lives might not have turned out the way we envisioned, but our roots are entwined in all those experiences.

And yes, each time I hear that sound track, there is a part of me, that also says, "there is no other music."

3 comments:

  1. I am also a baby boomer. We certainly have had our share of experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't born until the 60's but I feel like I came through many of these things too... the world had changed so much since I was a child ... a lot of it good but I am really grateful for the generation I was brought up in too... we were taught to use our imagination xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is my favorite movie! I just saw it a few weeks ago. It never fails to make me feel good when I watch it. Anytime I hear a song from the soundtrack I smile just envisioning a scene from that movie.

    ReplyDelete