Saturday, January 9, 2016

Ahimsa

This came across FB from the Wayne Dyer site.
In yoga we teach about ahimsa, the first Yama ( moral discipline  or restraint).  Ahimsa means non-harming, to be gentle to yourself and all creation.

I teach in my classes that often when we practice Ahimsa, it is easy to be kind and gentle to others, but most difficult to be kind and gentle to ourselves.

We often forget that our bodies are temples, that they house the most precious and incredible part of us, our soul.  We berate how we look, how much we weigh, our shapes, our sizes; forgetting that this body should be treated with love, respect and kindness.  We should nourish it with healthy food, clean water, fresh air and daily exercise.  It is the only body we have.

So the next time you hear yourself making disparaging remarks about your body, remember the word
ahimsa and be kind and gentle to yourself.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with this 100%.
    Have a great day Jilda.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great advice. Our bodies are such wonderful creations and I'm so happy I get to see inside them every day and see how they work but also I see how hard they work for us even when we treat them badly..and frankly, most of what I do in surgery is because of life style bad habits more than just plain bad genes or luck. I need to be kinder to myself..thanks for that reminder!

    ReplyDelete