Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Shadow

Shadow was shaggy white, big eyed puppy that Rick's grandmother gave to our niece, Samantha around sixteen years ago.......Shadow crossed over the rainbow today.  He followed Sam around like her......shadow, and as she grew up and her life became more and more complicated, Shadow became her dad's(my younger brother, Ricky)dog.

Shadow, like every other dog that has lived here on the farm, had a wild and wacky personality.  I bet we will find balls hidden for years, that he brought over from Ricky's house and hid down around the barn and out in the woods.  If there was a tennis ball, baseball, basketball or soccer ball that he could get his teeth into, it was his!
Also, cute stuffed animals were never safe around Shadow, he loved to fight with them.....and then they too were hidden around the farm.

When Jordan was born, Shadow loved him......he was like a built in babysitter......he would play ball with Jordan for hours, fetching every ball Jordan rolled, pushed and eventually threw at him.  But it was obvious this past year, Shadow was slowing down.....sometimes he would come to visit us and not remember how to get home.  Some days it seemed he came to visit, just to let me know he knew we loved him......he would come in and eat our dogs' food, drink their water, lie down for awhile and then bark to go home.

I know my brother Ricky's heart is breaking tonight.......Ricky has had some serious health problems the past few years, but it seemed Shadow was his protector, he stayed close to Ricky, always keeping a watchful eye on him when he was sick.

Samantha had called me yesterday and told me  she thought Shadow was dying, Rick and I went to check on him, and I knew he would not last long.......I lay down on the floor beside him, reminded him how much we loved him and how much we would miss him.  Even though he did not live with us, he was a part of us, and I will miss him.

Tonight, whisper a prayer for Ricky and Samantha, the loss of a beloved pet can hurt so much.....grief is grief, and pain is pain......and there is a big empty spot in their little home......where a white shaggy dog use to be.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for their loss...it's hard to say goodbye to a member of the family who always loves you no matter what, is loyal and also just plain wonderful. Hope they can find happiness in the great memories Shadow has left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how tough it is when a beloved family member dies. Shadow's love will be very missed. I am very sorry for this loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think people that never had pets think of us pet owners as wacky people when we mourne them when they are gone.What do they know!My heart goes out to your brother..it needs time but you never forget your loved one

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to all of you for your loss. Everybody should know a love like Shadow's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unconditional love...that is what our pets bring to us. I'm sending prayers of strength and solace on warm winds of love your way today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just read about Shadow's passing over at Rick's blog. I can only empathise deeply. I am truly sorry. Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know all too well how that can hurt and they certainly will be in our prayers. I also hope they will quickly get another puppy to love and find comfort in. Linda, a friend of mine in South Africa lost her precious "Romeo" but now has a rescue dog "Noodle" to love and it does help.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to hear about this loss. I think what you did was absolutely beautiful and eased his passing. I feel for all of you for the loss. If only people were more like dogs. Faithful, loyal, gentle, fun, and beautiful souls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Shadow, and I know that Ricky and Samantha will be feeling so sad today. We will hold them in our prayers. I thought it was beautiful that you went and laid down with him like that. It must have eased his passing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will be saying a prayer for Ricky and Samantha. sandie

    ReplyDelete