Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Fog

Last night as we drove home from my community yoga class, the fog rolled in.  It had rained a good part of the day, and the temperature dropped.  Fog is such a mystical thing.   We live near the Mulberry  river, on the plateau of one of the Appalachian foothills.....we experience our fair share of  fog.  I love fog.  I love how it shrouds the surroundings in ghostly, ethereal wisps, making the most mundane seem other worldly.

Sometimes in the winter, we have fog that turns to ice, so everything becomes coated in an icy mist.  Quite an experience to see frozen fog.   The closer we got to home last night, the thicker the fog became.....but there were places where it disappeared completely, only to go around a curve and suddenly be immersed in thick heavy fog again.
Fog seems to connect and disconnect,  the connection of the blanket of wet, cold cloud hanging on everything, but the disconnection of not being able to see ten feet in front of you.

I love the morning after fog too, this morning as we  walked through the woods with the dogs, it seemed to be a slow drizzle of rain dripping through the trees, it was just the aftermath of last night's fog refusing to go away.
Several of our friends who lived on the Sipsey River talked about an eerie green fog that rose from the river just before the F4 tornado hit on April 27th.  They all said they had never seen fog like that.  Maybe it was Mother Nature's way of warning of the doom that was coming.

I have walked city streets in the fog, and hiked through the woods in the fog,.....fog changes your perception.
It muffles noise,  and can be comforting and frightening, you feel protected, yet vulnerable and driving in fog can be quite unnerving.  I think that sometimes fog can even be quite romantic.

All is clear tonight, the fog rolled away around noon today, replaced by blue skies and fluffy clouds and a cool
autumn wind.  It was nice to see the sunshine too.
Good night, Sweet dreams.

3 comments:

  1. Frozen Fog:)We don't get a lot of fog here exept high in the mountains.I don't mind fog either.It has something symbolic and mysterious in it;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job describing the various emotions fog spills over us. Where I grew up in southern California, there was fog often. And there is fog here some mornings that just thrills me. I would like to see the fog that turns to ice that you speak of here in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fog, too. (as long as I don't have to drive in it) With all the water around, we had frequent fog in Baltimore, where I grew up, but in landlocked Atlanta, where I live now, it's much more of a rarity. That only makes it more special.

    ReplyDelete