Saturday, September 24, 2011

Good Things

"The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future." -Shiloh Morrison

At work, I hear a lot of sad stories, horrible heart breaking true stories......but the interesting thing for me is how these stories are told.  Some are of them are told as a cleansing process, get them out, and move on if you will....some are told out of guilt and shame.....but some are told to perfection, you see the person  telling the story has told it so many times, it has become a part of them that they wear with honor and pride.

It is hard to let go of the bad stuff, but holding on to it, reliving it every day, letting it become who we are crowds out any good that can come to us.  Bad things happen to everyone, life is full of ups and downs and tragedies that can overwhelm even the most optimistic Polly Anna.  But, to move on, to live again we have to allow the better things to come to us.  It is, like attracts like.

I have friends that seem to always be struggling, with problems and sadness, and drama.  But when I talk with them about finding a purpose, a reason to get up every day, they shake their head and look at me as if I  drank all the kool aide.  Someone asked this week, how do I go on,, what gives me my drive........I believe with all my heart it is  purpose and the willingness to allow good and  better things to come to me.  I think finding people to help, ( writing a check is good) but rolling up your sleeves and really helping out, gives that sense of purpose.  It doesn't have to be big stuff, take a meal to a friend who is sick, donate a few hours at a shelter or school or hospital.  Giving of yourself and your time is an incredible gift, it brings the better things to you, and helps you to correct or let go of the bad in your past.

If the bad seems to be overtaking you, allow the good to come in......start small.....a smile, a gesture of kindness, it snowballs I promise.  If your past haunts you, remind yourself it is just a memory , that all that is real is now.  Twelve Step teaches one day at a time, some days it is just one breath at a time.  Better things await you, are you willing to let them come into your life?

Wishing you good and better things tonight, wishing you sweet dreams.

9 comments:

  1. What you said is true. Years ago something awful happened to me. It took me some years to get over it, but now I never think of it and that is so wonderful. We do need to move on and live our lives forgetting the past. It is not good to be stuck in a loop of sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True. Moving on. Helping others. Meaningful pursuits. Thanks for your post today (and all the other days too).
    - Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your quotes.In one sentence there is so much wisdom.Giving others is giving to yourself..my favourite;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Kool-aid comment!! quote. I'll quote that again, you can be sure!
    I like to be around those who view the glass as half full rather than half empty. I want to be like that and am truly always...usually...optimistic. Lately that can be a challange so try to enjoy those I love and that which is good around me. Thanks for the reminder!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always good to help yourself and others too and find purpose in life! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a brother who is always lurching from one drama to another and always complaining of his woes. I don't think he could enjoy himself without all the misery. To be honest, a lot of it is of his own making.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It took me some years to learn that my past was affecting the choices I made in the present. Once I realised that, I made a conscious effort to let go of it, hard as that was.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good words today Jilda. You help us so much and I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an uplifting post. I do find that when I lose myself in service to others, I actually find myself..we are quickly heading into the time of year when people give more and take the time to think of others and count their blessings. Some of the happiest people I know aren't the ones with the biggest bank accounts, but the ones with the biggest hearts. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete