Thursday, August 26, 2010

Ready for Change

It is twenty six days until fall, September 22. Most days I try my best to live in the now.....but when the nights began to cool down just a wee bit, the mornings are refreshing(instead of oppressive) and there are tiny fragments of red and gold leaves starting to appear, I began to lust for fall. It is my most favorite time of the year.

I love the crackle of leaves under my feet, the more vivid blue of the skies, the crisp mornings and warm days. Our apple tree down in the field is full of apples and later in September, they will turn a rich deep red, and when you take that first bite, they will be crunchy and juicy.
I am already seeing the deep golden yellow of goldenrods starting to bloom and this week the full moon seemed a little closer to the earth. I picked a warm ripe pear from the tree when I got home this evening, and as I took that first buttery sweet bite, the juice ran down my chin.

Soon, all around people will begin to rake their yards and burn leaves........what a great smell!
I am already thinking of the design for the pumpkin that I will carve and mugs of warm spiced cider. High school football games started tonight and in about a week the college games will begin. The county fair comes to town in a few days.

I picked out new boots and a jacket that I want to buy, you knew it would come down to wardrobe didn't you?????? After all, I worked in the fashion industry for over 25 years and fall is the biggest season. I do love fall clothing, warm cozy sweaters, boots, tweeds, the dense rich colors that bring a flush to cheeks and a sparkle to the eye. I do wish I lived where coats were
necessary, but jackets are nice.

I love the foods of autumn, stews, home made breads, the earthy taste of fall vegetables like sweet potatoes and butternut squash. And I wouldn't be southern if I didn't love my greens!
I bought grapes this week, and this year's harvest from California is excellent, firm, sweet and plump.
So, as my girlfriend Kaye, gently reminded me, we live in Alabama, there are several more weeks of hot/warm weather and I might as well dream on for a while. She loves warm summer weather even in December!

Yes, it was almost 90 degrees today, I know I am trying to rush Mother Nature.
But, I am patient, I love to be teased , and yes, even taunted , I am a big girl and I can take it, but I do hope there is a cold front somewhere in the near future.

2 comments:

  1. Fall is my favorite time of the year as well. Your description is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for fall and love the things you mention and Louisville is certainly cold enough by December to wear coats. But, if it would just go from fall to spring, I'd be happier. I absolutely hate February. I can take January as it's a recovery from the holidays month and March is ok because it's Lent. But, if I could find a spot in the continental US that is no colder than 60 and no hotter than 80 and not be California, I would move there to live.

    ReplyDelete