Monday, August 2, 2010

Homesick

I looked at my photos from Ireland a few days ago. I have had such a longing to go back and visit and play music. Looking at the photographs, brought back so many memories. Every Christmas I paint Dominic and Tony Christmas cards and I keep promising that we are coming back.
They are the duo, that we played several pubs with, met their families, spent time in their homes. I miss the green. I miss people who love music, a good chat, can spin a good story, and make you feel so much at home, that even after 10 years, you still feel homesick.

The day we got on the plane, as we were leaving Shannon airport, the tears began to stream down my face. I was homesick for a place that I had not even left yet. I have always felt that I left a part of me there. I love the crisp cool air, the rough seas, the rocky coasts, the simple way of life.
I love the fact that music, is as much a part of life there as tv is here. I love the honesty of the Irish, their toughness, and their kindness, and their work ethic.

As the temperature has hovered near 100 for the past few days, I really miss the climate of Ireland. I am one of those strange ducks, that doesn't mind the rain, the grey skies or the cool days. 80 degrees for a high in mid summer is good for me!

As I looked through those photographs, memories of the grand times we had , came rushing back. One of the funniest, we had played with Tony and Dominic at a pub called Characters in Tullamore, and as we were doing the last set, a group of very rowdy Irish undertakers on convention came in to listen and have a pint. As I finished the last song and we left the stage,
the largest one in the group, came over, hoisted me over his shoulder and yelled to the others
that he wanted me to birth his children! Well, Rick, Tony and Dominic just stood there and laughed, when he finally put me down, I said something to the guys about no one came to my rescue, they looked at me like I was crazy and finally Dominic said, "he was twice the size of any of us" and we all had a good laugh!

Music is so important there, everywhere we went, we were treated like rock stars. People followed us from pub to pub. To show their appreciation, they would buy us pints of Guinness. One night I looked down at the stage and there were 24 pints! We got to a pub another night and had not had a chance to eat. The woman who owned the pub, went to her house and brought us back part of her own family's supper. It was though acts of kindness that followed us from town to town.

So tonight, it is 90 degrees here in Empire, Al. and I am homesick. Homesick, for the kindness of strangers, and the joy of playing those incredible pubs where no one ever wanted me to stop singing. Homesick,for a walk on a sandy, rocky beach where the waves crash against the rocks and the air is cool and fresh.

1 comment:

  1. I understand.

    Tip though, undertakers the world over are devotees of hard liquor and rowdy by nature. I was told alcoholism is the profession addiction for them.

    ReplyDelete