Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Creative Cravings

I have not painted in almost a year. It seems I hit a wall, the desire was gone, no inspiration.
Over the weekend, I dreamed of paintings, they were in front of me, taunting me. I think the urge is coming back. It has been years since I have done water colors, yet that is what I dreamed.
Water colors, pen and ink. This weekend I am cleaning out my space, and see if I can paint what I dreamed. It is scary, to think about picking up the brush and starting again. I have drawn and painted since I was a child. One of my first memories of my mom is her teaching me to draw, well that and her shaking me the night she gave me too much paregoric and she couldn't wake me.
(don't ask, in a small town in the late 50's and early 60's the local pharmacy took the place of the local doc, not sure why they even gave it to me, but I bet it made sense at the time)
So, I keep seeing the images, I just hope that I can paint them the way they are in my brain.
Soft dreamy colors, with pen and ink drawings on top of them, where did those beautiful flashes originate? and please, please, please, let me paint them as I dreamed them!

For years, I painted and gave them as gifts to friends and family, I have painted Christmas cards for the past 25 years or so, some years as many as 150. All hand painted with love, friends tell me they have saved them all, some friends have even framed them. Isn't that a wonderful
gesture of friendship and love? But somewhere along the way, the past few years, the cards
continued, but all other painting stopped.

So to the muse who has awakened the sleeping beast, thank you whoever/whatever you are.
If the water color gods are kind this weekend, I'll post the results, if not bear with me. Creative cravings sometime take a while to fill.

2 comments: