Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Thoughts of Lent and a Life Remembered

My cousin Dennis' funeral was so sweet and touching today.  The minister spoke with his friends, fellow workers, and family last night......and he used their words to weave a beautiful
eulogy for Dennis.  Even the music was so Dennis.....Free Bird.....it made me smile when I heard it.

We finally had sunshine today, though rain is moving back in tonight.  Those few hours of blue skies and warm rays were magical.

A friend shared Frederick Buechnor's  thoughts on Lent with today on FB.  His words were some of the most interesting and profound that I have read concerning Lent.
I wanted to share them with you tonight.



IN MANY CULTURES there is an ancient custom of giving a tenth of each year's income to some holy use. For Christians, to observe the forty days of Lent is to do the same thing with roughly a tenth of each year's days. After being baptized by John in the river Jordan, Jesus went off alone into the wilderness where he spent forty days asking himself the question what it meant to be Jesus. During Lent, Christians are supposed to ask one way or another what it means to be themselves.

If you had to bet everything you have on whether there is a God or whether there isn't, which side would get your money and why?

When you look at your face in the mirror, what do you see in it that you most like and what do you see in it that you most deplore?

If you had only one last message to leave to the handful of people who are most important to you, what would it be in twenty-five words or less?

Of all the things you have done in your life, which is the one you would most like to undo? Which is the one that makes you happiest to remember?

Is there any person in the world, or any cause, that, if circumstances called for it, you would be willing to die for?

If this were the last day of your life, what would you do with it?

2 comments:

  1. Wow- That message is very thought provoking and some of it I don't want to think about-not quite ready to go there on some of those questions.

    I am glad that Dennis's funeral service was a good one-one filled with music and love. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now there is a very thought provoking idea...I often wonder what I would do with my last day.. if I knew it was. I'd spend the day calling and visiting loved ones ♡

    ReplyDelete