Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Choices

Classes today were about choices, the lesson.....we are where we are because of our choices.
Understanding that can be frightening.......it can also mean freedom, because if our choices got us here and we don't like our path......we can make new and different choices.

I think about choices that I have made during my life, some good, some bad.....and when I think about where I am now......I have to agree, my choices got me here.

As I watched my students faces today and we talked about choices......it was obvious some serious thoughts were taking place.  Being in an addiction center, thinking about the choices that you have made  is a sobering thought......but the bright side, new choices can bring about a new life.

We make choices all day, about how we spend our time, what we eat, where we go, who we see......most we make without much thought.  But what if we truly began to think about our choices, even the simple ones.......like fast food or something healthy......getting angry in traffic or seeing it as a gift to slow down a little..... watching tv or taking a walk.....ignoring the beauty around us or beginning to look at the little things, such as tiny blades of green grass appearing, buds on tree branches or a clear blue sky.  I admit, most days I too function on automatic but I am trying harder to make better choices, trying harder to think about my choices and their consequences.

We are our choices, we live by them.....we die by them.....and our choices affect all  who are around us.

3 comments:

  1. I think we all need to slow down a little and enjoy our surroundings... we are on auto pilot too much... I know I am ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been trying hard lately to slow down, think more about my actions and live "in the moment". I don't always succeed but the baby steps are a win in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your last statement is one that I've thought about many times. When I hear someone say that what they do only affects them I want to scream. What we do doesn't just affect us..the ripples of those choices flow out to everyone we come in contact with or who love us. You'd have to be an orphan on deserted island for it not too.

    ReplyDelete