Saturday, November 9, 2013

Ships

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William Shedd

I think we humans are much like ships, we are safe and warm most often when surrounded by those we love, but our purpose I believe
is to " sail" out, to reach out to those who are unloveable, to the needy, to those in pain and offer them shelter on stormy seas.

A good friend and I talked for a while this morning, it's interesting, when I need a good strong ship on stormy seas, he seems to  magically appear......and hopefully I do the same for him.  

I think about those who boarded ships for the new world, headed to places that one could only imagine.......what a leap of faith that took, what courage.   I am glad my ancestors were so brave, so daring.....or maybe they were some of the prisoners who volunteered to sail.  :)

I hope tonight, what ever seas you are sailing on that they are calm,  that your voyage is a safe one, yet exciting and that one day we all find the harbor we yearn for.

1 comment:

  1. I often marvel at the bravery of my immigrant ancestors from Greece. Sailing the ocean, not speaking the language, no money, no family to greet them. Yet they managed to raise a family, work, and leave a wonderful legacy. We're in Chicago hopefully helping my brother sail this sea of grief. That sea can be a rough one.
    I

    ReplyDelete