Friday, November 22, 2013

Our First Thanksgiving

My private class that I often teach on Friday mornings got cancelled, rain was moving in and after we rehearsed for our gig tomorrow night, I decided I would be very productive today.  The guest room, sometimes ends up as the catch-all room and it had been a while since I had spiffed it up.......I did that today.
It never fails during the holiday season that we have overnight guests at some point........and thus I go into a tailspin if the room is not ready.  I have spent a lot of time the last  few days thinking about how stressful some of our holidays in the past have been.  This Christmas, two years ago, my world was turned upside down when my pulmonary doc sent me to an oncologist.  I don't have cancer, but I will undergo a type of chemo, once a month for the rest of my life.......these past two years, I have gone inward many times.

I realized that holidays were meant to be enjoyed, with friends and families and the stress that we allowed
to take over our lives and spoil all those precious moments could be avoided.  That Christmas two years ago, I decided the holidays would be different, if I lived to enjoy any more. I would do the things that were important to Rick and me and let go of what wasn't........our last two Thanksgivings and Christmas have been different and I can honestly say I have enjoyed them greatly.

This Thanksgiving I am cooking for my brother and his family and a couple of friends from work.  I have made my grocery list, my menu and am excited to have Thanksgiving in our home.......after almost forty years of marriage, this will be our first Thanksgiving at our house. I am grateful and happy to finally after all these years, cook Thanksgiving lunch.

1 comment:

  1. Jilda- How wonderful that you and Rick are hosting in your own home. I always have Thanksgiving and have had it for most of our married lives. I need to take your advice though and not stress out so much. Blessings- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete