Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Winter's Day

Monsoonal rains swept across the state last night and today......cold rains driven by a front pushing through, with thunder and lightening and howling winds.  Last winter we had record snows, this winter almost balmy days interrupted by bouts of rain and cold.  Interesting stuff, weather.

The dogs are restless when it rains, we take down them out ( we have great LLBean rain gear) but the thunder and lightening spook them.....I hear Bear, his claws clicking and clacking on the wood floors, he is ready for me to write.....he's not very happy, Calliou has to decided to visit his sacred office space.  I think Bear thinks that collie is way too uppity, and he wishes he were younger......he'd teach Calliou a thing or two.

Even the birds knew the weather was going to be miserable today......they chowed down on the suet this morning.....the cardinals and woodpecker have a dance that they do, each flying to the feeder for a bite of suet, then going back to a branch on the persimmon tree, waiting their turn.

I gathered the last of the turnips today, big fat purple globes with creamy bottoms......mashed with butter and salt and pepper for dinner....not bad.

A really good guitar practice tonight.....productive and fun.  All in all, a nice ordinary day in the bleakness of  winter.  A cup of hot tea awaits me, a warm cozy bed.
Good night, Sweet dreams

10 comments:

  1. We have a turn in weather today too. It's been nice for January and now it's turning very cold! You are right, the animals certainly know it! Our little dog hates the cold or rain! When we had two dogs (one died last year). They acted a lot like yours so I can identify.

    Enjoy your tea and practice...sounds like a cozy evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a turn in weather today too. It's been nice for January and now it's turning very cold! You are right, the animals certainly know it! Our little dog hates the cold or rain! When we had two dogs (one died last year). They acted a lot like yours so I can identify.

    Enjoy your tea and practice...sounds like a cozy evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're getting the winds here in Ontario tonight and the temperatures are dropping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually can just skip the weather men on tv and check to see if you've written about your weather...we seem to be the next recipients of what has left your homestead.

    I'll batten down the hatches!
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snow is not melting, light snowfall today. Ice underneath. I am staying home, organizing more drawers, spending some lovely time with DGS, reading and blogging. Today was a good day. Thanks for visiting me today. Sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh mash turnips are yummy!!! Awww hugs to Bear and Calliou - hope they find their own personal spaces asap! :-)

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love stormy weather, but only when I'm tucked up indoors, toasty warm :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like it was a very satisfying day :) I would love some rain - we are in a deep freeze at the moment. We had April weather in December and now it's -40C!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Turnips straight out of the ground, I bet they tasted amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our weather was very blustery yesterday as a cold front pushed that nice warm one out..it didn't even put up a fight, just left and now the snow will be arriving! Stay dry and warm...and I also just realized that I don't think I've ever eaten a turnip. Hmmm...maybe I'll have to expand my food horizons just a bit!

    ReplyDelete