Saturday, February 12, 2011

One Seed

Many years ago I did volunteer work at a home for displaced kids........kids that had been in and out of foster homes, kids whose parents couldn't quite deal with them, kids who needed a safe place away from their home, the list went on and on. One of the young boys just really meshed with Rick and I, we brought him to our house on the weekends and Rick taught him to play guitar.

The young man grew up, went to college, met a girl, married and is raising a family.........and became an awesome guitar player. He lives in another state, but he has always kept in touch with us. He is now lead guitar player in a Christian rock band and doing great. He called us tonight,
the band had done a live radio show, their album is number two on the charts in the state where he lives. His life is a far cry from where it was all those years ago.

Through the years, I have done a lot of volunteer work.......many times I wondered if I had wasted my time on some of the projects that I was involved with. I know this, every time our young man calls I know that was time well spent. We played a part in helping him to follow his heart, to pursue his dreams and live the life he was born to live. I am so proud of him, he is sending me his cd, and I cannot wait to hear him play. The group will tour this spring and summer, and you can bet.......Rick and I will be in the audience when ever we can.
All I can tell you is this, when your heart guides you, listen.......when you have the chance to help.....do so. You never know how someone's life will change because of kindness, but I can tell you this, it will be for the better.

We never gave much thought to bringing this young man into our home and our lives, we didn't know that what we were doing would make any difference........we just wanted to show him kindness and love. Tonight I know that one seed planted.......grew much larger than we ever dreamed.......and it changed a lot of lives.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's amazing, and how wonderful for him that he had you guys! Imagine what could have been.....wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without giving you are not able to receive, so I send you many many smiles Jilda, you do make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you imagine how grateful that young man is for you as well? This is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete