Thursday, December 3, 2015

An Honor

I had the honor tonight to speak to our local American Legion group about yoga and PTSD.
I looked across the audience at the men and women who have served this country.  I saw faces weathered and worn, young and hopeful and sad and broken.

I spoke about how yoga can help with PTSD not only for those who have been in combat but also those who might suffer with PTSD from other causes.  As I was leaving a young woman approached me and told me how much yoga had helped her  PTSD.  She was no longer having nightmares.

My students at work often tell me how much yoga helps them sleep, how it eases the night terrors, helps with depression and anger. In  my classes today, I had three students who had been sent to me from their trauma group.  As they walked in, it was obvious they did not want to be there, but when class ended all three told me they would see me Monday.

I am fortunate.  A few years ago my employer sent me for a training program called Yoga Warriors.
A yoga program for active military and vets with PTSD.  It was an opportunity of a life time and it has served me well.  I love teaching the classes.

I am very tired tonight. Today was another one of those hello/goodbye days and then my speaking tonight.  An emotional day.  Hot tea awaits me.
Goodnight Sweet dreams

2 comments:

  1. Yoga is good for the families of service people too. It can be stressful dealing with day-to-day matters as well as a person they care about who is so injured inside and out. If your place does not already have one perhaps you could suggest it. My opinion which will not be shared by the providers is that insurance should help pay for it. It is a health issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing a great service Jilda. An angel disguised as a yoga teacher.
    Blessings,
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete