Sunday, March 20, 2011

Where Is The Moon?

The phone rang a little while ago......it was Jordan, my great nephew. He kept saying, "where is the moon, I looked out back, I looked out front, I saw the stars, where is the moon?????"
He is three, and since he was maybe six months old, he has been fascinated by the moon. One of his first words.......moon. He would point and say moon over and over. Guess what his favorite book is.....Goodnight Moon. Each time he takes a bath here, as I wrap him in a towel, I sing the old Barney song, "I love you in the morning, and in the afternoon, I love you in the evening, underneath the moon".

I am glad he is mesmerized by that beautiful silver orb. I have been all my life too. What is it about that glowing silver pearl that shines over the earth that is so magical? I know there have been people through the ages that worship the sun, and yes I know the moon has no light of its own, only the reflection of the sun........but to me, the sun pales in comparison to the powers of the moon. Maybe it is the darkness of the sky, or the fact that the stars and the planets shine at night in a partnership with the moon. Maybe it is because I know as a woman, how beautiful we all look in moonlight.

I have written several blogs about the moon, and will continue to do so. Like the pagans of old who worshiped the sun, the stars, the moon and mother earth, there is a connection, a drawing if you will, a power that is primal and mystical that tugs at my heart and soul when I see the moon.
The fact that today is the equinox, the first day of spring and a full moon, can't you just feel the stirrings of all things ancient?

The moon just appeared over the tree tops, (yes, I called Jordan to let him know) it is pale gold,
surrounded by a soft hazy mist that circles like a crown. Looking out from our new deck, it is framed by fragile tree branches, it is beauty and peace, and all things good. How can anyone feel hate or anger when something so spiritual appears in the sky?

My cup of tea is ready, going out to sit on the deck and moon gaze........this same moon shines on all of you tonight, let it bathe you in the magic.

3 comments:

  1. Your posz reminds me of one of my favourite Shelley poems:

    TO THE MOON

    Art thou pale for weariness
    Of climbing heaven and gazing on the earth,
    Wandering companionless
    Among the stars that have a different birth,
    And ever changing, like a Joyless eye
    That finds no object worth its constancy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a moon lover too! I think my husband gets tired of my saying on a drive home..."did you see that MOON"?!? It just looks so beautiful sometimes. It must be heaven to isit on yor porch and watch it. we live in a house facing North so don't see it unless we are out and about.
    You nephew sounds like my grandchildren who also love the book, "Good Night Moon". Sweet words from sweet little mouths!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! I used to sing that to my son when he was little. Brings back tons of memories. The moon is beautiful when it's full. I took a full moon sail on Charleston harbor 2 years ago. It was so magical. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete