Thursday, March 3, 2011

Lunch with the Girls

I had lunch today with three of my friends......it was a really good day. A couple of them had not seen each other grade school. There was lots of catching up......lots of laughter and a few tears.
These women are beautiful, smart and tough.....all three are widows. How can that be?
Women in their fifties already widowed.....but all three are survivors. You would want these witty charming women on your team, I promise.

As we sat there having lunch, I watched my friends, I listened to them.....and all I can say over and over, I am proud to have them as friends. Two have their own business, one is a nurse and medical educator.
Tonight, I think of them and many of the other women who are my friends, I am blessed.

Through the years, I have met women who proudly told me they didn't like other women, or had very few female friends. Now, I would be the first to sing the praises of men, and how dull and uninteresting the world would be without them.......I have lots of male friends. But, I cannot for the life of me, imagine life without my girlfriends. My husband, Rick loves to tell the story about my entrenching tool I carry in the back of Ingrid, my Volvo. He says it has always scared him silly that I am never without that shovel, and he knows for a fact that any one and all of my girlfriends would help me.......well you know, bury him if he screws up. ha ha!

So today, as I ate my crab cakes and fried green tomatoes, I thought, "how lucky I am." Lunch ended way too quick, but with the hugs and goodbyes, we promised........we'll do this again soon.
I can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. What a fun and upbeat post! Glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. As fun as guys can be and as good of advice they give, nothing can replace all my best friends who are girls!

    sanaaliii.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, one has to have girlfriends. I too could not imagine life without them, who do those women plot with? :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete