Friday, March 11, 2011

Gratitude Ceremony

Several years ago I began to practice, what I called Gratitude Ceremonies. It seemed I never took enough time to be grateful, for the small things as well as the big ones. I light a candle, maybe buy some flowers and set aside a few dollars to give to someone in need. Often, Rick and I place the money in pockets of clothing that we were donating to shelters, as a surprise happy for the person who got the jacket or pants. As the candle burns, we offer a simple prayer of gratitude.

I taught my self to be grateful, even when it seems there is nothing to be grateful for. Actually when it appears there is nothing to be grateful for, is when we especially need to feel gratitude.
Tonight, after this blog is written and before we pick up the guitars, we will do a ceremony.
It seems ever since I got up this morning, all around the world is turning upside down.
The earthquake, unrest, and a tragedy for one of our friends. Everyone I have talked with today wanted to discuss how horrible the world is. I refuse to give in to the darkness......I think it is our only way to survive.

This place we live, it is good and bad, happy and sad, healthy and sick, suffering and joy.....it is what we call life.......and if we live long enough we will experience it all. So tonight, I am grateful for those who did not die in the earthquake, I am grateful for those who are fighting for their freedom, I am grateful that though my friend lost his son, he had a son and there was love between the two of them. I am grateful that for one more day, I could breathe.

I am grateful that spring is coming. The signs are everywhere, flowers are blooming, trees are beginning to show their leaves, the days are getting longer and the sun shone brightly today.
Life has its moments, and we have to grab them when we can. There is joy to be found if you look for it, there is beauty even in the midst of destruction. Ecclesiastes speaks of a time, a season if you will for everything, it is easy to forget that truth of seasons......that circle of life.
I close this blog tonight with gratitude for all who read it, I ask that each of you before you go to bed tonight, think of one thing to be grateful for.

3 comments:

  1. In the wake of all the devastation from this horrific earthquake it isn't hard to realize how much we have to be grateful for. Embrace your blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An inspiring thought, will follow you ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to keep the positive flowing. My sister lost her son to a tragic accident, and along with her grief she expressed her gratitude to God for letting her have him for 18yrs..life will always give us walls to climb over..it's how we choose to scale them that makes the difference. Great post.. You've got my gratitude for it!

    ReplyDelete