Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Better

I worked with a young woman in class this evening who was in pain.  They all are in pain emotionally but she was in extreme physical pain.    The saddest words came out of her mouth, she told me she had been in physical pain for several years, every day, that she had just gotten use to hurting.  This is not the first time I have heard those words, but it breaks my heart each time I hear them.

After spending a few minutes discussing her health history, we began to breathe.  For almost ten minutes we did slow deliberate breathing and visualizations.  For the next twenty-five minutes I took her through a series of slow, restorative asanas, including about fifteen minutes of somatics.
Then I got her as comfortable as I could and took her through a fifteen minute guided meditation.

As we ended the class, she expressed how much better she felt.  She was definitely moving better.
I gave her one of my cds with meditations on it ( down load yours for free at jilda.com)
I straightened the room, went downstairs to clock out and she was at the front desk.  As I left the building she told me again how much better she felt.

It is not always the big full classes that remind you why you teach, often it's that one student.
To know that she felt better because of my help made my day.

Tomorrow be kind, it doesn't cost anything and you might change someone's day.  I know it will make your day better.

1 comment:

  1. Jilda there are a lot of people out there that are in pain. Either emotionally, mentally, physically or spiritually. I am glad that you were able to bring her comfort. Sometimes that little bit of comfort brings you hope. If we all touched one person, it could make all the difference to this world.

    ReplyDelete