Thursday, August 4, 2016

Remorse

Because of where I teach I hear more sad stories than you could possibly imagine.  I hear regret, guilt and profound sadness.  But occasionally I hear remorse for something that could so easily be fixed...remorse because that person is leaving the next day or in a couple of days and today was the first time they had decided to take my class.

A young woman came to my door this afternoon and asked what time class started, she said that her counselor had insisted she come.  As we talked, she informed me that she had been urged many times to come to my class but she was so busy with her schedule she just couldn't make it.  She has been there 13 weeks and will be leaving Monday.  Her counselor made her come today.

We talked a few more minutes while other students walked  in and I told her that I was glad she came and hoped that she enjoyed the class.  An hour later as we finished the class, she sat up and groaned.
I ask what was the matter.  She looked at me and told me she was so sorry, she felt so stupid that she could have attended my class 39 times and she came once.  There was such regret and remorse in her voice.

I just told her it had happened before and she would not be the last.  Once the same thing happened with a young man, he was visibly shaken when he realized what he had been missing.
About six months later the young man walked through my door again, he said I relapsed and I am back, but I will not be missing your classes.   That was a few years ago, as far as I know, the young man is still sober.

It is difficult for most to understand how something like yoga can  help with addictions.  It is the process, the breath work, the meditation, and the  commitment.  It is learning to calm the mind, find peace with in, to eat healthy, awareness and finding self-love and worth and the building of confidence.
So many think that yoga is a few stretches, but the asanas ( stretches) are just the tip of the iceberg.
And I as I love to tell my students, everyone thinks they know how to relax, especially those who use
drugs and alcohol for relaxation but when they experience relaxation ( yoga nidra) at the end of class the word relaxation takes on a brand new meaning.  On my website, jilda.com there are some relaxation/meditations that I give to my students.  They are free for any of you to download with my blessings.

And so it goes.  Rick is fond of saying that every day is a school day, it is.
Goodnight, Sweet dreams

3 comments:

  1. How sad for those who pass up this opportunity to perhaps find true and lasting peace to battle their demons. Many time those with addictions are using as a way of self medicating. Too bad they can't be told they have to try it just once...then be hooked on a healthy lifestyle choice like yoga. Prayers and hugs to you and to your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jilda, you are such a gentle, sweet soul. As you know, it is all in timing. It does sadden your heart when you know you have a tool to assist someone, but they choose not to take it. This is life. How often have we done it? Chose not to take the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because of your approachable soul I am sure you have positively influenced many. The fact that some of them feel comfortable talking to you should make you proud.

    ReplyDelete