Monday, October 14, 2013

No.....two letters, such a tiny word......yet it can be such a difficult word to say.  When we are unable to say no, to set boundaries......we do ourselves and those around us a great dis-service.  I am as guilty as anyone, but I do admit......I am much better than I use to be.   There was a time when I allowed myself to be stretched beyond limits, and would beat myself up because I couldn't stretch more.

Dealing with chronic illness, being a care-giver and aging all played a part in my ability to learn to say no.
I see friends and students stressed beyond imagination because they can't say no.......their lives are miserable, the people are around them see and feel their misery and yet they continue to say yes when they should say no. Always saying yes, spending time with people and activities that soak up your energy and spirit is a slow death......and it will continue to eat you alive until you learn to say no.

Once you learn to to say those two letters.......no.......life changes for the better.....you get your self-respect back, you feel in control........it is ok to say no.......tell yourself that until you believe it.......the world won't fall apart because you said no, it will keep on and those you say no to will find someone who will say yes.
Life is short, energy is limited.......don't waste either by saying yes to things you don't want to do, spending time with those you just don't want to spend time with.  Just say no.

2 comments:

  1. You are so right I always get insight from your posts. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when I agree to do something when I really don't want to. Then I feel mad instead of benevolent...not the best attitude! I think the older I get the easier it is to say that little word!

    ReplyDelete