Saturday, November 3, 2012

Treasures

I opened up my grandmother's trunk today...... it is where I store my quilts.  I have quilts that my grandmother made, my great grandmother made and those that my mom made.  I am a lucky woman.
I pulled a couple out to put in rotation, I looked at the tiny stitches, the intricate pieces of antique fabrics, and I thought about all the hours that it took to make each quilt.

I remember my mom sitting for hours, stitching her beloved quilts.  Each stitch was an awareness of being in the now......if your thoughts wandered, so did the stitches.  I have the last quilt top that she made for me, she never had the chance to quilt it......beautiful purple tulips, trimmed in tiny green checks.  I keep thinking that one day, when I retire, I will quilt it.

I also have some tatting that my grandmother did, as well as some crochet and embroidery that she did.  My mother also loved to embroider and she taught me.......I was a big hit with my friends in the late 60's and early 70's because I could embroider their jeans!

I think about my nieces and nephews, and their children......will they want my handcrafted treasures when I am gone?  My mom made each of her  grandchildren a quilt, who knows if they all still have them.
I wish there was a way to teach them, how incredibly special those treasures are, how rare they are, and how much love as well as  time went into their making.

Looking through my treasures in that old trunk gave me great joy today, as well as a little sadness.......missing those women so much who created those treasures.
Time for a cup of hot tea, and a snuggle in one of those warm cozy quilts.
Goodnight, Sweet dreams

1 comment:

  1. This one brought tears to my eyes. What a lovely tribute to your mother and grandmother you have here...

    ReplyDelete