Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The House We Live In

"The words you speak become the house you live in."  - Hafiz

My good friend Sara posted this quote today,  it is such a wise statement.  If we speak ridicule, and hate, if we belittle and begrudge.......those really do become the "house"  or world that we live in.
If we talk of understanding, of caring, of kindness and love......that becomes our home or our world.

I hope that since the elections are over,  the words that we speak reflect the house we want to live in.
I think that living where I do,  I hear way more hate and bitterness than in other places......I also know that the hate and bitterness stems from fear.  My niece talked with me tonight about all the horrible things that she had heard people say today, but she is smart and loving and kind, and she knows that it is all fear and ignorance.

We live in an area where there are probably more churches per square mile than any other place in the world.......we live in an area where the hate and fear are palatable.  How do you light up the darkness?

My good friend Mary Grace suggested today that red, white and blue combine to make purple, a sacred color, a color of unity.......I reminded her that my front door has been purple for years.  :)
So my prayer for my community, my state, my country tonight.........that our words are chosen wisely, and that our "house" becomes united.......that respect, and human kindness becomes our foundation, and that love, caring, and compassion and a willingness to get along becomes our walls, and the understanding of our differences builds our roof.  This is the house I want to live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment