Saturday, April 30, 2011

Forty five seconds

Last night was the first night I have really sleep since Tuesday. Wednesday morning around 4:00am we were awaken by the first line of storms, and lost power. Lucky for us our land phones worked on Wednesday, my family called to let us know as storm after storm approached us, it seems that first line had knocked out the tower for our weather radio signals. Also, I had my first hot shower this morning, it was wonderful!
I have family who live in Sipsey, Cordova and Argo, all small communities near where Rick and I live, I spent Thursday trying to make sure they and many of my friends in Sipsey were ok. Thankfully, family members are good, one cousin lost everything.
Many of my friends lost all they had ever worked for, but they still have their lives.
In Sipsey, the nearest community to us, a couple were killed, their daughter spared because she was not at home. I still feel raw, and there are moments when the tears come like a flood, living here in the hills of Alabama I have always lived with the threat of tornadoes and in years past lost a family member in one. These were like none we have ever had before, until you see firsthand the devastation, words cannot describe it. But, now we have to figure out how to help......in these little communities .....most who live there are poor and middle class....many who lost all have no insurance, when I figure out what and how I will let you all know. Right now, it is all about food, shelter, and what to do next.
I know that you all have prayed and sent your love, there are rough days ahead, but folks in these parts are tough, they work hard, and help their neighbors, I know that
this too shall pass, but I can also tell you, life around these parts won't ever be the same. The forty five seconds is how long the storm lasted in Sipsey. It was a half mile wide, and I am not sure how far it traveled, but in less than a minute lives changed forever.

13 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if satellite photos were ever taken of the aftermath of tornados before, but this is the first time I've seen them. It looked like a huge thing reached out a long clawed hand and scratched the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't imagine Jilda. Seeing it on the news is not even close to understanding what it's like. I'm so grateful that you guys are ok. Never the same again is right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that you and yours are okay. The devastation is breathtaking and so hard to fathom.

    Our thoughts and prayers to you, your friends and neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strange and scary weather lately. Our hearts go out to those this has affected in so many ways. Glad you are okay...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jilda I truly am sorry you and your friends and family are having to deal with this mess that only took 45 seconds. The only time I have ever been close to a storm was when Hazel came through Nashville, NC in 1954. I can remember when the eye passed over & I went outside and felt the calm only to be hit again shortly. Until you are affected directly it is hard to get a feel for what it is really like.
    I just praise God that you and your family are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How quickly life changes in the blink of an eye. We can never take life for granted. So sorry to hear your news. Prayers for your friends and the recovery efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am at a loss for words. Little by little time will heal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 45 seconds to cause all that havoc and destruction. My goodness me! Like others have said, I can't just begin to imagine what it must be like, although we have seen it all on the news. I am still praying for all those involved and am just so glad that you and your family are safe. But those poor people who have lost everything. Gosh, how I feel for them. What's happening with the world's weather this year. We have seen such devastation in so many countries now. Take care and please continue to keep us informed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry for all the people who lost their lives and/or their belongings. And I'm also glad you're alright.

    In NC, several towns were hit and our daycare is sending all the good stuff that was left over from our yard sale to the victims.

    I'm really hating this strange weather....

    And my thoughts and prayers cover all of you daily.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jilda, this is still tearing at/out my heart. I want to do something and I am worried about the small communities the news is not putting in the spotlight. I am roughly 7 hours away, what can I do/bring etc? I am willing to bring or do whatever I can to help.
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been watching the news coverage and was just brokenhearted for all of these folks. I have been praying for them. Glad that you're all right Jilda, at least physically.
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. The TV coverage leaves us speechless. Our prayers go out and hopefully the help will arrive for all those in need. It's funny how hard we work and try to prepare for the big things in life, like weddings, retirement, employment, vacations, and then something happens like this and all we want is family close and safe, a shelter of any kind, and a warm shower and meal. Truly the things that matter aren't things..those can be gone with the wind. I'm so glad you are OK and I know that strong southern grit will get things built back and better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have you ever been to this site that has yoga
    http://www.thesleepytimegal.com ? Just curious

    ReplyDelete