Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Butterfly

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly."
- Illusions by Richard Bach

Once again I am quoting from one of my all time favorite books, you can take this quote on so many levels.....for me tonight, I am thinking of my own personal growth.
It is hard to change, to shift perceptions. Sometimes I am so overcome by my shortcomings that it would be easy to throw my hands up and quit.....and then I realize that lessons come hard and fast, seldom slow and easy.

The past few months I have struggled artistically on many levels. Growing as a musician, a writer, a creator can be exhausting.....struggling as a human to become more humane and kind is just as exhausting and frustrating. Just when I think I might have reached some sort of achievement in any of it, at any level, I look up and the mountain is as tall as ever and I have only made baby steps. I am still in my cocoon.

I think at times I have reached butterfly status.....and maybe that is just the way it is..... a circle.....cocoon, butterfly, time and time again as we go through life.
Honestly, there have been days if I am in a cocoon that I would stay there for ever,
but then those days when you feel your wings, when you feel as though you can soar,and you're as bright as a rainbow....that's worth being bound in the cocoon, that's worth the struggle.

So tonight, for those of you out there like me, who feel a little bound by your cocoon, the days are getting longer, and warmer.....and soon bright as a rainbow,
we'll fly once again. By the way, I have already seen a LOT of butterflies this spring.

6 comments:

  1. John Friend says "when the world is darkness and it feels like the end - just wait. That's what the caterpillar said before he became a butterfly."

    And you, my dear, are a beautiful butterfly. (that part is my words not Johns!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer was right girl, you are a beautiful butterfly and your posts are a real encouragement. Thanks
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The master was correct and stop looking at the mountain. Baby steps and butterflies, it is the simple things in small doses that allow us to grow large :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spring is here, spread your wings and feel the sunlight on your face. Time to rejoice in the awakening of Mother Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly.' said Richard Buckminster Fuller, but still does. And I have to agree you already are so no worries there :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Changes what shall we become? That is the hopefulness of life, and the fearful trepidation. Thank God he holds those tomorrows.

    ReplyDelete