Friday, May 14, 2010

Good night, sweet dreams

Every night for the past few months, my great nephew, Jordan calls to say good night, sweet dreams. He is two and lives next door. No matter how rough the day has been, when the phone
rings and I hear his little voice telling me good night, sweet dreams, my heart melts and all is right with my world. I know this probably won't be a ritual that lasts for long, (though I wish and hope it does) for now it is magic. Today, Jordan saw the baby chicks for the first time, so tonight when I answered the phone there was some conversation about telling the baby chicks good night, at least I think that is what he said. Eventually he got around to saying goodnight to me, and then asking for Rick.
A good friend's dad passed away last night, and I know that somewhere, sometime on down the road, he will remember telling his dad good night at some point in his life and the grief and the loss will seem unbearable. I remember telling my mom and dad goodnight so many times and just never really understanding that one day those goodnight, sweet dreams would stop.
So tonight friends, may we all have a good night, and sweet dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment