Thursday, August 8, 2013

Color

Did you realize that purple is my favorite color?  Actually purple, green and red rotate with an occasional turquoise splash.......it's not that I wear that much color, but I do love it in my life.
Our front door is purple, close to the color of this flower blooming on our back deck.

When I was in college I took six psychology courses, one of them was the psychology of color.  It was an extremely interesting class......all about how color can have dramatic effects on mood, personality, health, habits.  In yoga, there are seven energy points called chakras that are represented by colors......red, orange, yellow, green, turquoise, indigo and white/purple. These energy points deal with health and personalities also.

As an artist, I have been fascinated by color my whole life......my younger brother, Ricky loved the color red.  He was so enamored of the vibrancy and depth of a five gallon can of fire engine red  paint in our basement ( he was five) he opened the can and painted everything he could that brilliant blaze of red.  To this day, I can still hear my mom's screams ringing in my head.  To this day, my brother still loves red.

I can't imagine a world without color.....no blue sky, green grass and trees, no sunsets, no flowers, a life without color would have no taste, no feeling.  I have been thinking a great deal about color the past few weeks, I have the urge to paint.......before I start, the colors start to ooze through my head......for me, it begins with color.  I think a new floor cloth for the screen porch might manifest itself soon.  In the meantime, brighten your life with color, you don't have to paint your front door purple.........but then again......what about fire engine red?
 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, colors affect our moods. I've never read anything about it but I experienced it myself.
    It may be for this reason that I love painting with pastels. It is therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete