Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Roof Over My Head

Pouring rain tonight......the kind that makes you glad you have a roof over your head.  Actually, most days I try to be really glad and grateful that I have a roof over my head.  The past several days I have driven
around the storm struck areas visiting friends, going to the doctor, running errands.  There are still so
many homes that are damaged, so many places where homes use to be......and I keep thinking, and wondering about the people in those damaged homes, about the ones who have no homes.

It has been seven months, since the April 27th outbreak of tornadoes......it seems like seven seconds, it seems like seven years.  Our friends live in these areas, where the trees are gone, homes are gone,
people died.......I think many of them are on autopilot and to get technical......many are PTSD.
There is an odd normalcy to their lives, yet a strange eeriness as well.  They know, as well we know,
that anyone who survived that day will never be the same.

I have been lucky and blessed my whole life......to always have a roof over my head.  It may not have been the roof of my dreams, but there was always a roof.  Tonight I think of people all over this earth who have no roof over their heads.......I can't imagine what that must be like.......no roof, no food, no clean water.  I certainly have no right to ever complain about the cards I've been dealt in my life......I have always had food, clean water and a roof.

I hear the pouring rain on the tin roof, and I count my blessings......pouring rain, and cold.....no night fit for man or beast.  Once again, I whisper a prayer of gratitude for my roof.  It may seem a little strange to
talk so much about a roof.......but in this season of mass consumerism......when I see all those roofs around me, still  covered in blue tarps.....I worry.  I hope they are warm and dry tonight, I hope they have what they need,   I hope that  mercy is shown them,  that there is food, and warm clothing
that they have health and joy......and that the new year brings them roofs.

9 comments:

  1. We truly are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed to hear this tonight. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time you write about the tornado...one word comes to me...Katrina. It will forever be a scar on my soul and an ache in my heart. Until you or those you love have had to endure the total devastation of nature's wrath you have no idea how enduring that kind of damage is. It destroys more than the physical world we live in...
    Blessings are counted~

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a beautiful soul, Jilda! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post. I too am grateful for my home and warmth...my roof is actually leaking and hopefully we will get it fixed soon..but I'm still grateful for it! Have a wonderful Christmas week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this wonderful reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have to be grateful for all the things that we have, including both the good and the bad. The roofs above our heads are just one of those things. I am happy and thankful for all the good things that have come into my life. I hope others share my attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s really a relief to have a quality roof! Being assured of protection from whatever weather condition may come, knowing that you are safe inside your own house? Who wouldn’t want that? Anyway, take care of your roof and have it regularly inspected and maintained.

    -Chantay Smithingell

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Chantay! Having a quality roof over your head assures that you are safe inside your house. By the way, what kind of roof did you install? It’s been over a year now, I hope you already had your roof checked for maintenance.

    -Tiffany Larsen

    ReplyDelete