Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving Blessings

Cooking chicken and dressing for the community Thanksgiving dinner at Sipsey tomorrow.  My nephew
James who organized it, requested  that I make it.  I learned how to cook it from my mom, it is an old recipe that her mother taught her, and it is southern.  No matter how I try, mine never tastes as good as momma's did.  Maybe one day.

We're thinking we will have around 100 folks show up........it's a small community, the one near us that was so devastated by the April 27 tornadoes.  The healing and the rebuilding is slow, and yes we all know,
it won't ever be the same.

Thanksgiving was a big deal at my mom and dad's house.  Mother was a great cook, and she loved cooking for anyone who would share a meal with her.   She would cook the biggest turkey she could find,
the table would groan because there was so much food, and there were  always leftovers for everyone to take home.  Daddy would say grace,  and there  would be a mad rush to get to the food.  She would send plates of food to anyone that she knew would not have lunch that day.    Things change,  and yes I knew when she passed, it would never be the same.

So tonight, let me share my gratitude, and thanks........to all of you who read this blog, who send me your wise comments, your funny stories, your sad times, and your encouragement.  I pray that your Thanksgiving is blessed, with plenty to eat, lots of hugs, laughter, and love and good health.
May you be surrounded with people who love you, and remember to count your blessings.

6 comments:

  1. And many blessings and much happiness to you and your family at this special time of year. My Mom was also an excellent cook. Much better than I am. I miss those days. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a wonderful thing to share on Thanksgiving. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy and peaceful Thanksgiving to you and Rick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanksgiving is always a day for remembering our loved ones who have gone before us. Those that taught us what true blessings are and how to share them...

    Blessings to you and Rick and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharing is what it's all about. A Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours and all those you bless with your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely community Thanksgiving!!!! I hope you and Rick and all your family and friends have a wonderful time. Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete