Thursday, November 24, 2011

Community

It has been a good day.  Watching people's faces as they came into the community center today was
really something.......so many of them said they couldn't believe we were serving them dinner.
I can't tell you how many times someone asked me, why are you doing this?  We are in a sad state, when no one thinks they deserve kindness.  This really was a community dinner,  the elderly came, those who were working the local businesses that were open came on their lunch hour,  the lonely came,  those whose lives had been destroyed by the tornadoes came,  and then as we found out about those who were home bound, food was carried to them.

As we were cleaning things up, people were already talking about what they would do next year......how they could make it even better.  There was such a joy among those who were helping, you could see it in their faces, and hear it in their voices as they welcomed  each person who walked through the door.
This is the third such dinner in as many years that my nephew James has organized ( and yes, he knows he can always count on Rick and I to help).  He has an incredibly kind and loving heart,
and his wife Andrea, and their four children are always right there in the thick of it all.  Breeze, the seven year old, and Daisy who is four, made all the table decorations.........dried leaf wreaths with a candle in the center.

I am tired, it has been a long day.......and an emotional one as well.  I miss my family, my parents, my oldest brother, our Thanksgiving dinners that we shared as a family.  I have to admit, there were moments when tears hit my eyes today.......but I have wonderful memories and I hope that these community dinners give others good memories.  I know that some where, some place, some one
did not have a big Thanksgiving dinner today,  I wish there was some way to reach out to everyone.
One thing life has taught me, you do what you can do.

I hope that you all have had a good day, that your tummy is full, and that your blessings have been counted.......no matter where you are.
Good night, Sweet dreams

5 comments:

  1. Things can't stay the same but we can make each day special...you made today special for a lot of folk. Sleep tight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a blessedly peaceful rest, Jilda. Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your nephew is doing such a good thing by organizing that dinner. It is sad when people are surprised when others help them. I too miss my grandma and brother on Thanksgiving and Christmas. But as you say, they are good memories.

    ReplyDelete