Monday, September 6, 2010

Restless

It's one of those days when I would like to breathe salty air. I feel the need to go somewhere.
It is a feeling of missing the sea.....drifting if you wish. I haven't seen the ocean in a long time.
And it's not the sandy beaches of the Gulf coast that I wish to see, it is the mountains dropping off into the Pacific or the rocky coast of the northern Atlantic. I want to see waves crashing, feel the wind blowing in my face, maybe have a bowl of clam chowder or some oysters. Walk barefoot on the beach, and feel cold water sweep across my toes.

This started last night talking with friends about Seattle, and then thinking about the coast just south of San Francisco, and then I thought about Boston, well that is just how my brain works.
Next thing I know, I want clam chowder, or salmon while I am looking out on grey rough water.

It's not that I don't love the Gulf coast, I have lots of great memories of the Gulf. The sunsets are some of the most beautiful on earth, and the turquoise water can be most breathtaking.
And of course, don't forget about the dazzling white sand beaches.

Ok, so now I am thinking about the coast of Ireland, especially Galway. The little fishing villages, and crab claws as large as my hand. A gentle rain falling, a great little book store, and the afternoon spent at a bed and breakfast, listening to the wind and rain, and a great cup of tea.

Well, it appears I am craving fresh seafood, salty crisp air, and just a little get away.
I had planned on writing something about Labor Day, but my brain can turn on a dime at any given moment and this is where I went tonight.
So for all of you who are somewhere on or near the coast tonight, I am envious. Go out and take a deep breath of the briny air for me, and maybe have some chowder for lunch tomorrow or fried clams. If you get the chance, let the waves wash over your toes and squeal and giggle, I can promise I would do the same for you!
Good night, sweet dreams.

1 comment:

  1. I've never drawn to the sea. I've seen the sea, the Atlantic, off the coast of Florida where we used to go for two weeks every April after tax season. But now I don't do that and it's fine. When I want to run away from home, I always want to run west.

    You should take off and go where you like. Don't pack much. If you need more than a couple changes of clothes you can always get it at the Walgreen's!

    ReplyDelete