Saturday, July 31, 2010

Listen to Your Heart

I believe we are born with the answers. I think that the wisdom we seek, the answers we search for are all within our hearts. I think as children we automatically listen to our instincts, we trust what our hearts tell us. But our thoughts and beliefs are shaped at an early age. Many of us are taught not to question, to accept whatever is told to us by those who are older, smarter.
In school, it is not the children who question who are held in esteem, it is those who study and repeat the answers that have been taught for centuries.

As life goes along, we bury the ancient wisdoms we were born with. We figure out the norm, and that is what most of us strive for, different is usually not good or better. We begin to settle.
And usually if we are very honest with ourselves, there is a tugging at the heart strings.
We hide and try to forget the dreams that fueled us as children, we become what is expected of us.
Each family has a different take on success, but those aspirations are ingrained in us early.

For women, we are usually encouraged to please, and men are usually encouraged to succeed.
One of my high school teachers told me that I would be a good secretary or housewife. Don't get me wrong, I consider my self a housewife, even though I have worked since I was 15 years old.
But, I was a lousy secretary!

My dreams have always been pretty simple, in my heart I believe that I am here to sing, write, and be creative. It has been an uphill battle my whole life. Even now, when I meet new people and tell them I am a yoga teacher and singer/songwriter I often get a raised eyebrow.

To be honest, I have not always followed my heart, I think there are very few who do, especially every day. But if I could give advice to anyone, it would be to listen to your heart, it don't give bad advice. Marianne Williamson's quote, " Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us." I think that sums it all up.

I believe we are not frightened by who we are, but who we could have been. My goal is at least for a little while every day to listen to my heart, to be honest with myself, and if only for a moment each day........to remember my dreams, and pursue them. I encourage you my friends, to do the same. Listen to your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment