Sunday, March 12, 2017

Daylight Madness

I know so many of you love the switch to Daylight Savings Time, but I am one of those that it just throws me out of sorts.  Waking up when it is dark, well I don't wake up until I see sunlight, mornings have just become difficult.  I keep hearing people talk about all the extra daylight in the evenings.
I have asked several why/what with the extra hours of daylight.  Some with kids say it gives the kids more time for sports, some say they spend more time outside when they get home from work, many really didn't have an answer.

I believe it messes with your bio-rhythms ,especially those of us who work.  You have a hard day at work, you come home and instead of letting go of the day, you have a couple of  extra hours of daylight.
For many their lives become busier and more complicated with longer daylight hours.  You cram more into the day working harder, resting less.  We all think that without DST our hours of light would be so short, but in reality there is more light in the spring and summer.   All the days in the spring and summer are longer. The summer solstice is the longest day of the year!

Daylight Savings Time has created a big business with kids spring and summer sports.  Instead of coming  home after school, doing homework and enjoying spring and summer evenings, kids are picked up after school, fed some fast food and then rushed to the nearest ball park or soccer field.
I read an interesting study a few days ago ,basically  research has found that if you want strong family connections, you should sit down and eat the evening meal with your kids at the table.

So there is my whine about Daylight Savings Time.  For those of you who love it, enjoy.  For those of you who are like myself, this too shall pass.  By the way, how fast will your kids jump out of bed tomorrow morning when it is still dark?


2 comments:

  1. A good rant Jilda. I don't like the change either. Why mess with what God has already set to go with the season at hand? Man's wisdom will never be match God's wisdom...

    I read somewhere, only a government would have you cur the bottom of a blanket and attach it to the top to make it appear longer.

    I get up at 5 am. and I can get used to it but I hate to have to get up an hour earlier just because someone as deemed it necessary to change the time. We mess with God's plan and we reap chaos.

    Have a good week anyway.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I should have deleted the "be"
    Man's wisdom will never match God's wisdom...
    Julia

    ReplyDelete