Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Use Wisely

Yesterday I saw my pulmonary doc, today Rick had a couple of doctor's visits.  As I sat in the waiting room waiting for him, I noticed a gentleman younger than Rick and me, restless and pacing.
I ask if everything was ok, he smiled and said I can't stand to wait, I have no patience.
I smiled back, told him I understood, that up until a few years ago I had no patience either........but  I said, all of that changed with one diagnosis, one doctor's visit, one round of IVIG which turned into three years of treatment and will continue for the rest of my life.

He looked at me and shook his head, but you look so healthy he said.  I smiled back, said thanks and said that's how it happens you know, in the blink of an eye life changes......and I learned to be patient.
He grinned rather sheepishly, it seems his wife was getting an eye exam for a possible surgery. Neither one had any issues with their health and this was unsettling .  About that time, she walked out to the waiting room, he looked at me as they were leaving, grinning and said I might be learning some patience.

Patience is difficult, but yoga prepared my journey to the land of patience and chronic illness.  Age probably helped me along the way also.  Sitting in a doctor's or hospital waiting room is agony, I agree, but sooner or later we all end up there.  We can agonize, fuss and pace or we can take some breaths, appreciate the time we have to sit and reflect, or meet someone new, read a book, knit,
listen to music on headphones, or sometimes I just journal.  Time is precious no matter where it is spent, don't waste it, don't wish it away.......use it wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment