Saturday, July 9, 2011

BLT

As the heat and humidity rise, my energy plummets......I long for cool mountain breezes and icy streams or even the hot dry heat of the desert.  The past couple of mornings as I walked, the moisture lay on my skin like the fog in the valley after a rain.   The air is heavy and as I walked through the woods, the smell of decaying leaves and trees hangs  in the air.  The humidity does that,  or at least I think it does, intensifies the smell of all things organic.
There are a few gardenia blossoms on the bush, and as I walked by this morning, the sweetness was almost
too much......the heat and dampness made the fragrance cloy and old.

The evenings are quite different, the heat becomes more oppressive, even the body feels heavier and the humid air drowns the lungs.  But this is when the lushness takes over, everything is green and vivid.  The summer flowers are blooming, and the tomatoes are abundant.  That's the trade off, the heat and humidity for fresh ripe
home grown tomatoes.  My favorite BLT......thick grainy whole wheat bread, fresh basil leaves, peppered bacon, tomato slices and mayo.......food for the gods.  I can eat them for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

My favorite PBS show, The Vicar is about to come on, so .......
Good night, Sweet dreams.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness, you have just described the PERFECT BLT !!

    Glad you have some consolation in the middle of all that humidity.

    We have very dry heat here in Northern Calif., but when it is 102 outside, it really doesn't feel any better. It is just HOT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, it's 4.50am and I want a BLT. Right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your perfect BLT and sweet dreams too! take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does sound pretty hot there. It gets to the 80s here in mid afternoon but we use the A/C. Hubby does not care for the heat. I think it is associated with the meds for his bipolar but I want him comfortable regardless. We have found a great compromise temp that suits each of us. You are right about the energy declining in the heat.

    We have some yellow tomato plants flourishing and we are checking on the small green tomatoes on the vines willing them to turn yellow.
    We like BLTs too. Hubby makes our bread, whole wheat usually with flax seed and chopped raisins. That is our favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The BLT has to be at the top of the list of comfort foods. NC has high humidity just like you do so we have to choose early morning to do most things before the heat builds up. Have a great rest of the weekend.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found out the difference between dry heat and humid heat when I visited Florida. Humid heat is debilitating for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmm...that BLT sounds lovely! Hubby likes his with a nice slice of a sweet onion and a sour dough bread is another twist. Once I made a BLT with fried green tomato...I'm bad like that sometimes! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate humidity hot is one thing humid is another when it is humid it zaps my engery also.

    ReplyDelete