Sunday, November 18, 2018

Prayer

I have a book that I bought around 1995.  It is a book of daily thoughts and meditations.  There are years that I read it daily, then put it on my bookshelf for another time.  It has been a few years now since I pulled the pink book off the shelf.    It is Simple Abundance by Sarah Ban Breathnach.  Each time I began to read these mediations they speak to me in a different and profound way.

I started this book again on November 8 and several of the meditations have reopened my eyes to things I needed to see and think about.  Books are truly old friends and they come into your life when you need them most.

The meditation on November 8 was about prayer.  Not a prayer, but the fact that most of us pray twenty four hours a day.  It is not a about kneeling to pray, but it is in caregiving sick parents, children, helping friends and neighbors, nourishing bodies and souls.  Every day life is prayer.
One way or another, prayer is conversation and when we do this prayer in our daily life, it is what my mother use to call putting feet on our prayers.

Sarah ends this particular meditation with an interesting statement...."women pray because we need to talk to someone who's really listening."

It has been a good day.  Thanksgiving lunch with my sister Pat and her family.  Rest this afternoon, a recharge of our batteries for the work week.  It is a week of Thanksgiving, a week to remember to be grateful...actually something we need to practice daily.

May we be kind, may we spread joy.

I shot this picture of Calliou yesterday,he seems to always be looking for the beauty around him.

2 comments:

  1. A great post, Jilda. Seeing God in all things is really a prayer.
    What a great photo of Caillou in a natural setting.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book is wonderful. I have one too and need to find it and reread it again. I am one who feels like I'm constantly praying my way through the days and am always thankful for everything. A thankful thought is like a prayers sent straight to heaven.

    ReplyDelete