Friday, September 22, 2017

Emotional Day

I did the seminar for the nurse's group at work today.  They were so receptive.  They are caregivers in every sense of the word and work so hard to keep our patients healthy.  To be able to share with them encouragement and ways that they could care for themselves meant so much to me.  I know how stressed and tired I am when I leave the facility and they work way more hours than I do.  Most of them work the detox area so they see our patients when they are at their worst physically.  I don't envy them their jobs.

Tonight I went back to work and Rick went with me.  We had a celebration of life for one of our counselors who died a few weeks ago.  Rick and I did one of our songs to open the ceremony, it's called Family.  It suited my friend and our workplace well.  To work at an addiction center is a special calling, it truly is not for everyone.  But I can say this with no hesitation about Deb,  I feel so bad for the women who come through our facility now who never had the chance to have her for a counselor.
 We have many wonderful counselors, but none of them are like Deb.  She walked the walk and talked the talk, life had not been kind to her but her hardships shaped her as a counselor and gave her the ability to help so many in recovery.  She could see through the BS and knew what it took to survive and recover.  Her life has touched so many.  I miss her every day.

A long day filled with many emotions.  I need my hot tea and cozy bed.
Goodnight, Sweet dreams

2 comments:

  1. I've worked with a Kosovar refugee family who came to our city in May 1999. They had been traumatize by having their home blown up in front of them and their children. They had to escape with the cloths on their back and nothing else. All their valuable and including their car taken from them. They saw people killed in front of them...
    I was their designated driver and they got attached to me and it was so very draining every time I had to be with them. They wanted me there all the time. They were a lovely family but it sucked the life out of me.

    So I can understand when someone needs other people's energy to make it through.

    You may not work as hard as the nurse but each one of us has his calling and I think you really have found yours.

    PS. I slept much better last night. I'm not as tired this morning. Thanks
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gave a wonderful picture of a special woman.

    ReplyDelete