Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Hook's Adventure

Walking the dogs became quite an experience this morning.  It was so warm and muggy that Taz stepped outside the fence and refused make another step.  She went back to the house.  Calliou walked one of our usual rounds and he decided to call it quits.  Lady ( Jordan's dog) and Hook took me up on a second lap.  Hook as usual ran ahead to scare up all the rabbits and squirrels.  Just a few yards from the barn he left the path and within seconds ran across the path in front of me, began rolling and yelping.   He took off for the house.

Hook made it to the gate in record time and just about knocked me down to get inside the fence.
He barreled through the doggie door and by the time I made it inside he had hidden in Rick's closet.
I feared the worst, snake bite ,but suspected yellow jacket stings.     It was yellow jacket stings.  Big angry red welts were popping up on his nose and back.  He would not come out of Rick's closet.
I gave him a dose of Benadryl.   I sat in the floor and petted him, assuring him no wasps were in the house.  After about an hour he finally ventured out of the closet.  He slept for most of the afternoon.

There was a good moment on our walk this morning.  Down by the barn, there is a patch of tiny gravel and pebbles, a most beautiful beautiful  butterfly flew around me there and then flew down on the pebbles and posed while I snapped a picture.  Sadly I have not been able to convince Hook that anything good happened on our walk today.

5 comments:

  1. Poor baby. That's a scary thing to have happen. Scary and sore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Hook. He'll feel better in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh poor hook, that couldn't have been very pleasant and I suspect he will be a bit timid to venture in the spot where he got stung.

    I'm glad that you knew what to do.

    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot about the beautiful butterfly and I had to come back. What a great shot.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those dang wasps..I hate them! Poor Hook. I hope he's better now. Your butterfly is so beautiful! I've never seen one that color. Good pic!

    ReplyDelete